100 YEARS AGO — January 2024

 THE WAY WE WERE
Culled by Judy Garrison
From January 1924 issues of
The Andes Recorder
100 Years Ago

WEEK IN AND ABOUT ANDES

Events of a week as chronicled by
the Man on the Street

John George, on Cabin Hill, was injured Tuesday. Mr. George was on the road with a pair of bobs and his team was going at a brisk trot and in some manner the chain on the rear bob caught and the result was that the rear bob was held fast. The sudden jolt caused the reach to break and the front bob was pulled out from under the box Mr. George was hurled forward and landed head foremost on the bob….His nose bled all thru Tuesday night before it could be stopped. [Ed: Anyone know what a bob is?]

The New York City Board of Health has amended its drastic and unreasonable order regarding the storing of ice and now only those who cannot cool their night’s milk in two hours must provide ice.

What is believed to be the largest turntable in the world was installed by the Delaware & Hudson this week at their roadhouse in Oneonta. The turntable is 104 feet in length and is equipped with every possible device.

Evangelist T. LeRoy Muir, has been spending the past week with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Muir. He recently closed a successful series of meetings at Beaumont, Penn., where over 60 people professed conversion.

Public Service Commission, Albany, New York

Petition of William T. Hyzer for consent to transfer to Guerdon S. Hotchkin the franchise, works and system of an electric plant in the village of Andes, Delaware county; and petition of Hotchkin for permission to construct an electric plant in said village and to exercise the franchise proposed to be transferred. [Editor: a notice of a hearing followed. Does any reader have fuller knowledge of the where and what of this electric plant?]

The residents of Andes village were startled about 7 o’clock Wednesday evening by the ringing of the fire bell. Fortunately, it proved to be only a small blaze in Legion Theatre in the Union Hall building and was put out by the use of a few buckets of water. The firemen arrived promptly and laid a line of hose into the hall but the water was not turned on.

The fire was discovered from the Star Restaurant and a good sized blaze was shooting up. The cause was carelessness. First, the stove had been set only a few inches from the wainscoting about the chimney, which was of pine and as dry as tinder. Second, the janitor, in anticipation of a basketball game, had started a fire in the big box stove and gone to supper, leaving the drafts wide open. The result was the dry pine took fire and was badly charred all across the front of the chimney and the paper further up burned before the blaze was put out. The building certainly bears a charming existence as it has been on fire times without number.

The giant elm tree on the court House square at Delhi has succumbed to the “woodmen’s axe” owing to the fact that the top was drying and safety first was the watchword. Many regret to see the removal of this landmark believe that the dead portions could have been removed and the life of the tree extended.[Editor: Was Dutch Elm disease yet a known phenomenon, I wonder?]

Mrs. Andrew C. Fenton, of Margaretville, sworn in at Albany last week is the first woman lawyer in Delaware county. [Ed.: I think she is a forbear, maybe grandmother, of Andrea Fenton Campbell, most recently of Delhi, who with husband Bill relocated to Saratoga Springs a few years ago. One wishes the editor had given us this esteemed woman’s first name!]

Ed.: A long entry about the Delaware National bank ends:

The bank has just finished one of the most prosperous years in its existence and among the most prominent features of the year was increasing the interest rate in Savings department to 4% and assets of the bank crossing the two million dollar mark.