THE WAY WE WERE: January 2020

Culled by Judy Garrison

With commentary by Jim Andrews
From January 1920 issues of
The Andes Recorder
100 Years Ago


Events of a week as chronicled by the Man on the Street

Miss Helen Templeton, of Brooklyn, is spending the week in town.[Ed.: Seems like the Brooklyn-Andes connection goes way back!]

 Attorney Barna Johnson is spending the week in New York City. [Ed.: …as well the Andes-NYC connection.]

 The horse of Denny Hughes, the junk dealer, ran away Monday. The sleigh collided with the side of the bridge on Railroad avenue in Andes village and the horse freed itself. The thills and a trace were broken. When Denny saw that the sleigh was going to collide with the bridge he rolled off into the snow.

 Miss Christina Saxouer, who has a position in a millinery establishment at Barre, Vermont, left Monday to resume her duties. [Ed.: Knowing how the huge hats popular during the Victorian and Edwardian eras went totally out of style after the Great War, one wonders how much the millinery business was affected in the next decade.][Jim Andrews: I am assuming that there was still a thriving business, since in the Flapper era hats were in fashion, although not the enormous Gibson Girl style of the turn of the century.]

 The rush is on for the 1920 automobile registration plates. Within the past week, over 60,000 cars have been registered in Secretary of State Hugo’s office.

 Saturday Miss Georgianna Spiers, who a few weeks ago fell from the second story landing of outside stairs 20 feet into the Tremperskill and escaped serious injury, took another tumble. This time she started to come down the outside stairs and slipped and fell, landing at the bottom. Aside from taking the skin off one elbow, she escaped injury. [Ed.: Can’t help thinking: Get this girl a ground floor dwelling and some tread on her boots.] [JA: It doesn’t mention her age—I am assuming her to be quite elderly.]

 The moving a family into the F. M. Farish house on the hill back from the Tremperskill puts two new scholars in the State Road district in which there is no school, the district sending the three scholars to the village school. The question of opening a school now comes up. According to a ruling of the Education Department a few years ago, children are not allowed to go thru the fields to school and in this case it is the only way they can go.

 While out hunting foxes Thursday James Glendenning shot and killed a wildcat on Sherwood’s mountain, near Delhi.

 Does moisture on the windshield bother you? Try this: One ounce of water, two ounces of glycerine, a dram of salt. Apply to the glass with a piece of gauze, using a downward stroke. [Ed.: Windshield wipers became standard equipment on automobiles in 1916.]

The Elk Cheese Company of which L. B. Samuels is manager which for several years has had the skim milk at the Andes Dairy Company plant, have moved their vats to Delhi. The Andes Creamery Company is now taking the skim milk from N.A. Vauson who leaves the Co-Operative plant. 

The weather for the next week has been the worst of the winter and thermometers going as low as 21 degrees below zero. High winds have prevailed, adding to the general discomfort and filling the roads, making travel difficult.


“To hell with the police, to hell with the country,” are the seditious statements made by Mike Prulinski when taken in custody by the Oneonta police Tuesday. He was arrested on a charge of sedition on West Broadway and was turned over to U. S. Deputy Marshall Van Valkenburg of Binghamton to be tried by federal court.  Prulinski came to this country from Russia about 11 years ago and had worked until within the last 18 month, when, it seems, he tried to put the Soviet idea into force.

 In former years Andes was the Mecca for butter, and in the year 1888 Jas. Ballantine bought and consigned 5,250 tubs of butter, and 2,570 firkins, making 499,600 pounds for which $113,835 was paid. [JA: Alexander Shewsbury Dowie was a butter merchant whose store on the corner was the storage facility for butter prior to it being shipped to New York city. It appears here that James Ballantine, who owned a large mercantile next to the former Ballantine Bank on Upper Main Street, was also involved in this venture. The store was demolished sometime around the turn of the century. Keep in mind that all butter shipped from Andes was not produced in Andes, it was shipped here for storage and subsequent delivery to the city.]