Culled by Judy Garrison From May 1911 issues of
The Andes Recorder
100 Years Ago
Week In and About ANDES
Events of a Week as Chronicled by
the Man on the Street
Monday night sneak thieves stole ten or a dozen hens from A. B. Liddle’s hen house.
Thomas L. Bouton has the Texas fever and expects to buy land in that state and engage in orange raising.
Thursday five feet and one inch of a tape worm was secured from the little son of William M. Tuttle, and it was not all secured.
A tower about 50 feet high has been erected on the high point on the King farm, on Cabin Hill, which is now a part of the Gerry estate at Lake Delaware.
John Warren Farm sold to an Italian and Aitken farm to a Hebrew. [Ed.: It was clearly a very homogenous population in 1911 if ethnicities other than Scotch or English were made special note of!]
The Armstrong automobile came near being destroyed by fire last week. The car had not been out this spring and James Armstrong got it out to put in shape for running. When he cranked it to start the engine the flames shot up and ignited, but were finally put out by the use of flour. The car is now in the repair shop. [Ed.: They had to work to start their cars in those days. Did flour gum up the works?]
Miss Bessie Wright has been hired to teach school in the Davis district, Dingle Hill.
Excessive warm weather has been experienced in Andes and vicinity the past week [May 26] The thermometers a portion of the time have been 90 or over.
The large feed store of George B. Fletcher at Shavertown was totally destroyed Saturday by a fire that was discovered about 10:45 that morning. So rapidly did the fire burn that in less than an hour there was only smouldering ruins.
It is thought that the fire originated from a match carelessly dropped by some one into some refuse near the oil tank, which stood on the platform along the lower side of the building which was covered so that teams were protected from the storm. Mr. Fletcher saw the fire around the oil tank and in attempting to move it, in the excitement, he overturned the tank into the flames and added to the fire. In his trying to move the tank and reaching thru the window to secure his McCaskey register Mr. Fletcher was severely burned about the hands and face.