Culled by Judy Garrison From November 1910
issues of The Andes Recorder
100 Years Ago
with commentary by Jim Andrews
Week In and About ANDES
Events of a Week as Chronicled by
the Man on the Street
Saturday the two young girls of Thomas Cowan on Palmer Hill, had a narrow escape while driving home from Andes. At James Fletcher’s they met William Roney with his automobile and while the horse was apparently not frightened Mr. Roney came early to a stop with his car. When just opposite the machine the horse suddenly sprang up the bank, but it was so steep that the animal fell and rolled completely over and broke away from the wagon. The two girls jumped and escaped with only slight bruises. Mr. Roney took them to their home in his auto, and they arrived only a short time after the horse.
Judge M. Linn Bruce has purchased thru Ed Hanlon, a 50-light machine of the Tirrill Gas Machine Lighting company, and will install it in his residence in Andes. [Jim Andrews: Ed Hanlon was Pete Hanlon’s father—Pete Hanlon ran the Gladstone and Hanlon General Store which is now the location of Andes Connection Limited. He built and lived in the Colonial Revival house opposite the Catholic Church. The Carbide gas plant that Judge Bruce purchased created acetylene gas from carbide with the actual plant being located in the cellar of the mansion. Heavy weights and a system of pulleys created the pressure necessary to push the gas through the piping to all the gas fixtures in the house as well as the Ballantine Bank and Gladstone house next door. At the time the Calvert family purchased the house, all the fixtures as well as the plant were still in the house. The side yard bordering High Street held an underground gas storage tank. The mansion had just been modernized that summer.]
Take Notice! All persons are hereby notified that riding bicycles on the sidewalks of Andes Village is hereafter strictly forbidden. By order of Trustees.
William S. Miller and wife, of Weehawken, are visiting in town. Mr. Miller, who is a baggage master on the West Shore, is taking an enforced vacation suffering with Job’s comforters.
Lauren Whitcomb died at the home of his father-in-law, H. W. Davis on Dingle Hill, between 5 and 6 o’clock Saturday evening….Thursday they went to Mr. Davis’ and when stricken he and his little child was playing with a cat and he suddenly fell from his chair and lived only 20 minutes, dying before a doctor arrived. Coroner Keator issued a burial permit giving cause of death as “accidental poisoning from strychnia”. He had been addicted to cigarette smoking. Mr. Whitcomb…was 28 year, 7 months and 28 days.
That our townsman J. W. Dickson would make good as chairman of the board of supervisors no one who knows him doubted. But as further proof comes a commendation of him by the Walton Reporter approving his course. This we believe, is the first and only time that paper has ever had anything good to say of a Republican chairman of the board and speaks volumes.
Free Tuberculosis Exhibit. Dr. Pawling from the State Department of Health will give two addresses in Andes on Wednesday, November 30, on tuberculosis. One meeting in school building at 3 p.m. for students and the second meeting at 8 p.m., at Union Hall .