THE WAY WE WERE: January 2022

Culled by Judy Garrison
With commentary by Jim Andrews
From January 1922 issues of
The Andes Recorder
100 Years Ago

WEEK IN AND ABOUT ANDES

Events of a week as chronicled by
the Man on the Street

There was a wreck on the Delaware & Northern just as the train was leaving Andes station Monday morning, and if there is such a thing as a lucky accident this was certainly one. Not one of the 20 passengers on the train received more than cuts and bruises, although the coach was ditched and went onto its side.

————————————————

Helen Pattberg, the eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Pattberg, had the misfortune to break her right leg Saturday afternoon while riding downhill at Judge Bruce’s place in Andes village. On the sleigh with her was her sister, Agnes, and Helen, who was steering turned out for another sleigh and collided with one of the big pine trees. The large bone of the leg was broken entirely off about four inches above the knee and the ends had slipped past each other. [Jim Andrews: The Pattburgs lived in the house directly behind Judge Bruce’s. Walter Pattburg was employed by the D&N Railroad.]

 

An old fashioned Farmers Dance will be held in Union Hall, Andes on Thursday evening, January 12. Come and enjoy yourself. Supper will be served and ladies are requested to bring cake. Good music. [JA: Union Hall was the Tin Horn Building and dances were held on the second floor.  I would assume that this was a square dance and the meal possibly a pot luck with dessert being requested of the ladies.]

———————————————–

The ice harvest commenced Tuesday morning and the ice houses of Judge Bruce and the Andes Co-Op Dairy Co. are being filled with 10-inch ice from R. B. Seath’s pond above the village. [JA: The Judge Bruce’s ice house was located to the left of the abovementioned Pattburg house and burned in the 1960s. The ice harvest is evidence that mechanical refrigeration had not yet become available in Andes, since the electric power in 1922 was direct current provided by the community Delco plant which could not power a refrigeration unit.]

——————————————————

Andes real estate transfers recorded are The First Presbyterian Church of Shavertown to Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany. $650

——————————————————

The Shavertown Presbyterians announce the first service in their new church building for Sunday, January 22, at eleven a.m. Delivery of the windows has been promised and they are expected in a day or two. The bell of the new church will ring every Sunday for a brief period half an hour before every service and again at five minutes before each service. [JA: The windows are the same windows that were relocated to the Andes Presbyterian Church when the church was torn down for the construction of the Pepacton Reservoir. The church bell is now located in the front yard of the Andes church.]

———————————————————-

The Roman Catholics celebrated mass in their newly acquired church in Shavertown last Sunday morning at 11 o’clock. Rev. John M. McCall, of Arkville, officiated. Rev. John Neil Robertson of the Presbyterian church was present, and also George Fletcher, of Shavertown.

———————————————————

Tuesday morning there was an explosion at Frank Liddle’s on the Tremperskill and his kitchen range was blown up. Mr. Liddle arose that morning and kindled the fire in the range and did not realize that the weather was cold. The water pipes in the stove had been frozen and soon after the fire was started there was a loud explosion and the stove was all blown to pieces. Fortunately no one was near the stove when the explosion came so no one was injured. [JA: This was not an unusual occurrence. With no central heat and stoves being allowed to go out overnight, pipes commonly froze. The kitchen range had a cast iron water jacket at one side of the stove’s firebox with  a water feed line going in and a pipe connected to the hot water holding tank which was usually located adjacent to the stove. When the water pipes connected to the water tank froze and a fire was built in the stove, the cast iron water jacket would build up pressure eventually rupturing the water jacket and causing an explosion. A similar event happened in the 1950s to Alida Cole, grandmother of Joyce Hall and Glenn Cole, when her stove exploded and drove one of the stove lids into the ceiling above the stove. That event also made the papers with an accompanying photo of the damage done to the ceiling.] 


Thursday at the mortgage foreclosure sale of the John Connor lot opposite the Firemen’s Hall in Andes village the property was bid off by Attorney Edward O’Connor, who held the mortgage, the price being $1,000. [JA: This was the lot which had been the site of three buildings which had previously burned to the ground due to arson. The Andes General Store now sits on that site.  The owner/arsonist had committed suicide while being held in jail.]-

—————————————————-

Harold F. Bouton, who has conducted the Legion restaurant in the S. T. Goodman building, has leased the Argonne Lunch from Frank Becker and is moving in. [JA: The Goodman building was the former Armstrong Mill building, with the Argonne Lunch having been located where Apple Tree Realty is now.]~