The Way We Were – June 2010

100 years-thumbnailCulled by Judy Garrison From June 1910 issues of  The Andes Recorder 100 Years Ago

Week In and About ANDES

__________________________

Events of a Week as Chronicled by the Man on the Street

With commentary by Jim Andrews

__________________________________

Alex White, of Arena, made his annual pilgrimage to Andes on Decoration day.

__________________________________

Walter Pattburg has purchased an automobile and has been putting it together this week.

[JA: Walter Pattburg owned and lived in the former Shaver/Melahn house on High Street. It’s interesting to note that in 1910, the car came as a kit and required owner assembly!]

__________________________________

Friday evening at a meeting of the Board of Education Miss Jane Teegsell, a graduate of Syracuse University, was elected preceptress of Hilton Memorial High School for the school year 1910-11. [JA: I assume that the preceptress was the equivalent of the school principal. A Preceptor is a teacher—with preceptress being a female teacher. 1910 would have been one of the first (if not the first) years that the high school was held in the Hilton Memorial Building (formerly the Andes Collegiate Institute). The building had been modernized and refurnished through the generosity of the Hilton Family and donated to the community (hence the name Hilton Memorial High School). Interestingly enough, the community was not willing to fund the purchase of the old Collegiate Institute a mere 6 years earlier and opted to build an addition to the old high school building on Lower Main Street because it would save them approximately $1200. They were more than happy to move the high school to the Collegiate Institute building when it was donated to them! By the time Andes Central School was constructed in 1936-37, the district had allowed the Hilton Building to fall into an embarrassingly poor state of repair which probably would have required its demolition even if the Andes rural districts had not centralized two years earlier.]

Mrs. Mary Turnbull, of Andes, saw the Halley’s comet in 1835 and saw it again a few nights since. She is one of the few living who saw the comet when it came within our range of vision 75 years ago.

__________________________________

Wednesday, Drs. Gates and Gladstone performed two operations on Andes citizens. For some time Thomas S. Miller had suffered severely with one toe on his left foot, the trouble having started from that member being broken and a corn had also developed, and the toe was taken off by the doctors as the only way of giving relief. John Bleakie had a growth or bunch removed from his mouth and the bone of the jaw scraped.

__________________________________

Although nearly three weeks have passed since rededication of Andes Cemetery we still hear many favorable comments upon the exercises held and of the fact that in spite of the large number of people present everything was orderly and not a person the worse of liquor, and one man remarked, what other town could have said the same had such a gathering been held within its bounds? …Besides such comments there are also those commending the benevolent spirit and generosity of the Andes boy—Harry Dowie—for having made this one of the most beautiful cemeteries in the country, and many are the expressions of appreciation and approbation, not alone from townspeople but from those who visit our beautiful village. [JA: The cemetery had fallen into a serious state of disrepair with briars and brush covering much of the grounds. Because of this, many residents had their loved ones disinterred and moved to the new Rural Cemetery that had been constructed in 1892 on the hill above High Street. Through the efforts and financial backing of Harry Dowie—he also funded the cut stone wall that surrounds the Andes Cemetery—and under the direction of Cemetery Board President Dr. Jay D. Frisbee, the cemetery was cleaned and landscaped into what the cemetery is seen as today. Doc Frisbee (Andes’ local dentist) worked tirelessly to improve and beautify the cemetery throughout his life, being the driving force behind the construction of the ornamental pool and fountain and, his last endeavor, the construction in 1958 of the cut stone vault with stained glass windows. Dr. Frisbee remained as the Board President until his death in 1961. I can imagine that there wasn’t any alcohol served during that celebration since Doc Frisbee was a dyed-in-the-wool teetotaler, and even wrote and published articles about the evils of alcohol. Andes was also a “dry” town during that time period (actually from the 1870s to the 1950s).]~