Week In and About ANDES
Events of a Week as Chronicled by the Man on the Street
With commentary by Jim Andrews
Governor Hughes has signed the Audubon bill, bringing within the protection afforded the plumage of native wild birds, the plumage and feathers of birds of the same family from without the state after July 1, 1911. The bill was opposed by millinery interests.
The work of putting in the concrete for the foundation of E. J. Turnbull’s new hardware store was begun Tuesday, with W. J. Howland in charge of the work.
Mrs. William Gibson died at the home of her son, George Gibson, who resides on the Ely Reynolds farm in Wolf Hollow, Friday night, May 6, at the age of 72 years. She suffered a shock about a year ago and never recovered from it. Her maiden name was Augusta Burdick and Davenport was the place of birth.
CITY HEALTH DEPT WINGS CLIPPED
New Law Curtails Its Powers and Gives It to Agricultural Dept.
Farmers of Delaware county and in other dairying sections will rejoice to learn that Governor Hughes has just signed a bill, which takes from New York City board of health any authority, that heretofore has been vested in it, to inspect dairy barns as to sanitary conditions, with power to recommend and insist upon enforcing of remodeling of such barns and enforcing of the rules and regulations, promulgated by the New York board of health, and giving full power and authority to the State Department of Agriculture of which R. A. Pearson is the head.
For some time farmers have been subjected to many theoretical and unreasonable regulations regarding the protection of milk for New York city consumption. It has not been the inspection to which the farmers have objected, but its unreasonableness in the majority of cases and the unfitness of the inspectors. It is believed that the new law will give farmers the relief they desire, and also protect the consumer from unwholesome milk. [Ed.: We were struck by how the resentment of New York City regulations goes back earlier than the flooding of the reservoirs.]
Mrs. James A. Gladstone is preparing to re-model and enlarge her residence. Excavating for the foundation has been begun.
The ice house at the old Ballantine homestead is being moved to the rear of Dr. Gladstone’s barn. Frank Mead is in charge of the job.
[JA: Dr. and Mrs. Gladstone owned the Shaver/Melahn house adjacent to the Bruce Mansion on High Street. Mrs. Gladstone’s sister was Lillian Ballantine Bruce. The Bruce mansion was remodeled in 1909, and not to be outdone, the Gladstones remodeled their home the following year. The house originally resembled the Triangle Home of Mary Davis and the Delaware Avenue home of Lynn Witkowski (former George Liddle house). The moving of the old ice house to the rear of the property was, no doubt, part of this remodeling effort. The old postcard view shows the carpenters who worked on the house and is taken next to the new front porch. The little girl with the bow in her hair is May Bruce—Buffy Calvert’s mother. Dr. Gladstone, her uncle, has his arm around her.
Incidentally, the old ice house was torched by some kids playing with matches and burned to the ground one summer during the early 1960s.]